Translate

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Recording at home [music production]

Recording at home

I've just finished a recording now. Any people asked me, how I record my backing tracks on my youtube channel. ok let's take a look.

1.step - find an idea

Find an idea for a new track. How do I do this you can read here.

2. step - drum recording

Often I record one or two guitar guide lines and go to our band room and record the drums. I'm not a really good drummer, so at home I edit and trigger the drums for a better sound and maybe a better drums play too ;-)

Cubase 

 

3.step - guitar recording

I think I have my own stlye often in my backing tracks, a combination of clean and distortian guitar.
First I record the clean guitars to times...one left and one right side. When I finished the recording of the clean guitars it is time for the distortian guitars.
For the left side I always use a copy of a les paul with EMG60 and EMG81 and the right side I use a Jackson Randy Rhoads model with Seymour Duncan humbuckers - always for clean and distortian guitars.
Every side I record 3 tracks of distortian guitars and DI track like you can see on the picture. Left side 3 takes and a DI take and right side 3 takes and a DI take. So it sounds very sick, but with a good attack by the DI tracks.
But I had to practice long to play on click and excactly.

 

4.step - bass

The bass guitar: for recording I use an handmade 5 strings bass with handmade pickups. I only record a DI signal at a bass recording. I have no good bass amp, so I can modeling the DI signal later at home.

5.step - others

I often like to use noises that I recorded with a field recorder or strings. Strings I bought a little library of samples any years ago. That I play with a midi keyboard.



How many time I need?

For recording of one backing track mostly I need 5-8 hours.
Drums:                  2 hours
guitars                   1-2 hours
bass:                     1 hour
strings and others 1-2 hours



No comments:

Post a Comment